BAHAMIAN CONCH SALAD | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
Provided by: Alisa Wood @lovemyfood242
Categories: Seafood Appetizers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
|1 large onion cut and diced|
|1 each medium bellpeppers, red and green in small dices|
|2 1/2 medium lime, lemon and 1 orange, all peeled & squeezed|
|3 large conchs (cleaned,tenderized and washed|
|3 dash(es) salt and blackpepper|
|2 sprig(s) cayenne pepper chopped|
|1 ounce(s) fruit of your choice specified optional|
|2 medium tomatoes for salad diced up medium|
- First of all, make sure to clean and wash the conch, then tenderize it until slightly med. You don’t want this sald to be soft. So just a few blows with the tenderizer.
- Once you’ve washed your conch, you have to now cut it up in to chuncks. Prepare all other ingredients that has to be diced and cut.
- In a big mixing bowl, combine all conch and herbs and tossed them together. Add salt, blackpepper and cayenne pepper. Toss and mix through. You then squeeze in the citrus juices and mix all together again and toss.
- Place in a serving bowl and everyone have a nice Conch Salad. This will serve 4-6 guests. ENJOY
CONCH SALAD RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
Provided by: Norman Van Aken
Yield: Serves 4 as an appetizer
|1 pound cleaned fresh conch, diced|
|1/4 cup fresh orange juice|
|2 tablespoons fresh lime juice|
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 tablespoon kosher salt|
|1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves|
|1/2 European (hothouse) cucumber, peeled and minced|
|1/2 yellow bell pepper, minced|
|1/2 red bell pepper, minced|
|1/4 red onion, minced|
|1/2 cup diced fresh tomato|
|1/4 ripe Florida avocado, diced, or 1/2 ripe Haas avocado (optional)|
- Combine all of the ingredients except the tomato and avocado in a large bowl. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- To serve, fold in the tomato and avocado. Transfer to 4 chilled glasses or serving bowls.
How do you make a conch salad?
First, set out a large mixing bowl. Chop the conch meat into even ¼ inch cubes and place in the bowl. Then chop all of the fresh produce and place it in the bowl as well. Juice the orange and limes, and pour the juices over the salad. Generously season with salt and pepper.
What is Bahamian conch salad?
Bahamian conch salad Conch (pronounced ‘konk’) is a shellfish found in the warm Atlantic Ocean waters. The Queen conch, the one we press to our ears to listen to the sound of the ocean, is the type whose meat is used in traditional Bahamian Conch Salad.
How to cook conch fillet?
INSTRUCTIONS Wash conch with a mixture of lemon, salt and water. Clean the conch, remove vein, and cut into small cubes. Place in bowl with remaining ingredients. Cover and let the conch and vegetables marinate in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Mix and serve.
Can you eat raw conch in the Bahamas?
Raw conch is not uncommon in the Bahamas and can actually prove to be very enjoyable. The conch salad recipe is relatively simple and straightforward, but yields absolutely incredible results. Most conch salads are comprised of bell pepper, onion, tomato, raw conch, citrus fruits and local spices.