LENTIL-BARLEY BURGERS WITH FIERY FRUIT SALSA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Provided by: Maureen Callahan
Total time: 2 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 patties and 1/4 cup salsa)
|¼ cup finely chopped pineapple|
|¼ cup finely chopped mango|
|¼ cup finely chopped tomatillo|
|¼ cup halved grape tomatoes|
|1 tablespoon fresh lime juice|
|1 serrano chile, minced|
|1 ½ cups water|
|½ cup dried lentils|
|1 cup chopped onion|
|¼ cup grated carrot|
|2 teaspoons minced garlic|
|2 tablespoons tomato paste|
|1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin|
|¾ teaspoon dried oregano|
|½ teaspoon chili powder|
|¾ teaspoon salt, divided|
|¾ cup cooked pearl barley|
|½ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)|
|¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley|
|½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper|
|2 large egg whites|
|1 large egg|
|3 tablespoons canola oil, divided|
- To prepare salsa, combine first 6 ingredients; cover and refrigerate.
- To prepare burgers, combine 1 1/2 cups water and lentils in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain. Place half of lentils in a large bowl. Place remaining lentils in a food processor; process until smooth. Add processed lentils to whole lentils in bowl.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and carrot; sauté 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add onion mixture to lentils. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, barley, and next 5 ingredients (through egg); stir well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Divide mixture into 8 portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 4 patties. Serve with salsa.
Calories 315 calories, CarbohydrateContent 39.2 g, CholesterolContent 53 mg, FatContent 12.8 g, FiberContent 9.5 g, ProteinContent 12.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.2 g, SodiumContent 539 mg
BARLEY BEEF BURGERS RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings.
|1/2 cup water|
|1/4 cup quick-cooking barley|
|1/2 small onion, halved|
|1 tablespoon barbecue sauce|
|1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/8 teaspoon pepper|
|1/2 pound lean ground beef|
|2 hamburger buns, split|
|Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices and onion slices|
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Cool slightly. , Place onion and barley in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Remove to a bowl; stir in barbecue sauce, flour, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into two 1/2-in. thick patties., Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with toppings as desired.
Calories 395 calories, FatContent 12g fat (4g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 69mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 625mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, FiberContent 5g fiber), ProteinContent 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges 3 lean meat
BEEF-AND-BARLEY BURGERS | MARTHA STEWART
Provided by: Greg Lofts
Categories: Ground Beef Recipes
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
|2 cups cooked barley or barley blend|
|10 ounces ground beef (85 percent lean)|
|1 cup grated carrots (from about 2)|
|1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)|
|4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper|
|2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil|
|2 cups packed baby arugula|
|1 cup thinly sliced cucumber|
|Soft onion rolls, split|
- Pulse half of cooked barley in a food processor until mashed. Transfer to a bowl with beef, carrots, ginger, remaining barley, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine (do not overmix). Divide into 4 portions; form into 4 1/2-inch round patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. When it shimmers, add patties in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes total. (If necessary, cook in two batches.)
- Toss arugula and cucumber with remaining 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread Dijonnaise onto split sides of rolls. Sandwich patties and arugula mixture with rolls; serve immediately.
BARLEY BLACK BEAN BURGERS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Troy Meyer
Categories: Veggie Burgers
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|½ cup quick-cooking barley|
|1 cup water|
|1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese|
|1 cup mushrooms, minced|
|½ onion, minced|
|½ red bell pepper, minced|
|¼ cup fresh parsley, minced|
|2 large eggs|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|salt and ground black pepper to taste|
|½ cup bread crumbs, or as needed|
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate. Generously grease a sheet of aluminum foil with oil.
- Bring barley and water to a boil in a saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the barley is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mash black beans with a fork in a large bowl until thick and pasty. Stir barley, Cheddar cheese, mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, parsley, eggs, garlic, salt, and black pepper into mashed black beans. Mix enough bread crumbs into bean mixture to form a sticky batter that holds together.
- Divide batter into 4 to 6 patties; place on prepared aluminum foil.
- Grill patties on the aluminum foil for about 8 minutes on each side.
Calories 406.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 49.7 g, CholesterolContent 122.7 mg, FatContent 13.6 g, FiberContent 13.3 g, ProteinContent 22.8 g, SaturatedFatContent 7.1 g, SodiumContent 754.6 mg, SugarContent 2.9 g
SWEET POTATO, BARLEY + BEAN BURGERS WITH SLOPPY SAUCE
Provided by: erin wysocarski
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
|1/4 cup pearled barley|
|4-5 cups water|
|2 cups small-diced sweet potatoes (about 2 small sweet potatoes)|
|3 TB olive oil|
|salt and pepper|
|2, 15 oz. can of beans, rinsed (any combo of black, kidney, white)|
|1/2 cup mozzarella-style vegan shreds|
|one small red onion, diced|
|4-6 cloves garlic, sliced|
|1 TB vegan Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tsp steak seasoning|
|1 tsp liquid smoke|
|1 cup panko breadcrumbs|
|4 TB VeganEgg, whisked with 1 cup freezing cold water|
|1 cup vegan mayo|
|4 TB chopped pickles|
|2 TB minced shallot|
|2 TB ketchup|
|1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce|
|toasted hamburger buns|
|vegan cheese slices|
|lettuce, tomato, mandolined red onion|
- Place the pearled barley and water into a medium-sized saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. It should be completely cooked through but still firm to the bite.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss the sweet potato in 2 TB of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, or until it starts developing a little color around the edges. Stir halfway through the bake time.
- On a separate baking sheet, place the beans in a single layer. Bake for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Allow all of the ingredients to cool and place into a large prep bowl.
- Add the vegan shreds and stir to combine.
- In a medium-sized skillet (I used cast iron), warm the remaining TB of oil over medium heat. Add the diced red onion and allow to soften and slightly caramelize for several minutes. Add in the garlic and allow to soften for a few minutes more. Add the the prep bowl and stir.
- Add the vegan Worcestershire, steak seasoning and liquid smoke to the bowl, stir, then add in the panko.
- Add in the VeganEgg mixture (it will seem like a lot, but it will all work out) and stir again.
- Form into 10-12 patties and refrigerate until ready to use.
- If freezing, place patties onto a silpat-lined baking sheet and allow to completely freeze, then transfer to a ziploc or freezer-safe container.
- To prepare, add some oil to a hot skillet, place patty into it, cover and allow to cook for a few minutes on each side or until golden.
- If using frozen patties, allow them to come to room temp before cooking.
- Combine all of the sloppy sauce ingredients beforehand or when ready to serve. Half, double or triple the recipe based on the number of burgers you’ll be making.