HOW TO COOK BROCCOLI RABE (EASY SAUTÉED RECIPE, WITH GARLIC …
Provided by: Christine Gallary
Categories: Dinner,Side dish
Total time: 780S
Prep time: 300S
Cook time: 480S
|1 large bunch broccoli rabe (about 12 ounces)|
|3 cloves garlic|
|1 medium lemon|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)|
|1/2 teaspoon kosher salt|
- Prepare the blanching water and ingredients. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, trim the ends from 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, then cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Thinly slice 3 garlic cloves. Cut 1 medium lemon into wedges. Line a baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- Blanch the broccoli rabe. Add the broccoli rabe to the boiling water and blanch until bright green and crisp-tender, about 1 minute.
- Dry the broccoli rabe. Transfer the broccoli rabe with tongs or a spider to the prepared baking sheet and arrange into an even layer.
- Sauté the aromatics. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes if using, and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is very fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Sauté the broccoli rabe. Add the broccoli rabe, season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and sauté until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the lemon wedges for squeezing.
SaturatedFatContent 1.0 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 0.0 g, CarbohydrateContent 4.6 g, SugarContent 0.7 g, ServingSize Serves 4, ProteinContent 3.0 g, FatContent 7.2 g, Calories 86 cal, SodiumContent 252.5 mg, FiberContent 2.8 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg
How do you get the bitterness out of broccoli?
When you boil broccoli, the water you drain out will remove some of the bitter compounds (baking or steaming will not do this). After cooking, season the broccoli with flavors such as salt, spices, or citrus (lemon, orange, or lime.). Adds some lemon juice to a stir-fry to help complement and offset the flavor of bitter broccoli.
What does broccoli taste like?
Broccoli contains varying amounts of bitter compounds depending on the type. Standard broccoli is relatively mild in flavor, chinese broccoli is slightly more bitter and broccoli rabe contains the highest level of bitter compounds.
How to make broccoli rabe taste better?
You can marinate it with any sauce or just olive oil and salt and pepper to get rid of the bitter taste. -Blanching. Blanching the broccoli rabe in boiled water for one minute can remove the bitter taste from it. If it’s way too bitter, this method might not be enough, but this is the method that will not change the taste of your broccoli rabe.
How can I make broccoli taste better?
Here are some quick easy ways to boost broccoli’s flavor and make you look forward to eating it! This garlic roasted broccoli recipe is sure to turn broccoli into one of your favorite vegetables. Chop the broccoli into florets and one or two cloves garlic.