SPAGHETTI WITH ZUCCHINI AND SQUASH RECIPE | GIADA DE LAURENTIIS …
|1 pound spaghetti|
|2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving|
|1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|2 cloves garlic, smashed and sliced|
|2 shallots, sliced|
|2 zucchini (about 1 pound), cut into long, thin strands|
|1 yellow squash (about 8 ounces), cut into long, thin strands|
|1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|3 cups baby arugula|
|1 cup grated ricotta salata|
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; season well with salt. Add the pasta and stir to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, pepper flakes, garlic, shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and yellow squash and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Toss well to coat in the flavors and cook another 3 minutes.
- Using a pair of tongs, check the pasta. If it is just under al dente, it is ready to transfer. Using the tongs or a pasta fork, transfer the pasta from the water directly to the skillet with the squash and toss well to coat. Add the lemon zest and juice and 1/2 cup of the pasta water and toss well. Sprinkle with the arugula and toss to wilt slightly. Finish with the ricotta salata and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
GUILT-FREE GARLIC PARMESAN ZUCCHINI NOODLES PASTA
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 8 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 Servings
|4 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds)|
|3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 to 4 cloves)|
|1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like the pasta|
|2 medium tomatoes, chopped, see note (about 12 ounces)|
|1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving, see notes for alternatives|
|1 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces|
|1 teaspoon cornstarch|
|2 teaspoons cold water|
|Salt, to taste|
- Trim and spiralize the zucchini (see notes below for doing this without a spiralizer). Then cut the spiralized zucchini into long noodles to be about the length of spaghetti.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and the red pepper flakes to a large, deep skillet. Turn to medium heat. When the oil bubbles around the garlic, add the zucchini noodles.
- Toss the noodles with pasta tongs and cook until al dente — they should be wilted but still have a crunch; 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the noodles cook any longer, or else they will become mushy. As they cook, keep tossing so that all the zucchini noodles have a chance to hit the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese, and then cook for one minute. Use pasta tongs to transfer the noodles, tomatoes, and basil to a serving dish. Leave the liquid in the skillet.
- Bring the liquid left in the skillet to a simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl, then whisk into the simmering liquid. Cook while whisking until the liquid thickens to a sauce; about 1 minute. Taste the sauce and season with salt.
- Pour the sauce over the zucchini, tomatoes, and basil. Finish with more parmesan cheese on top and serve immediately.
ServingSize 1/4 of the recipe, Calories 197, ProteinContent 10.7 g, CarbohydrateContent 11.2 g, FiberContent 3.4 g, SugarContent 1.7 g, FatContent 14.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 3.4 g, CholesterolContent 7.2 mg, SodiumContent 471.4 mg
CREAMY LEMON ZUCCHINI PASTA RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Sarah Jampel
Yield: 4 Servings
|2 lb. zucchini or summer squash (4–6)|
|1 large shallot or ½ small onion|
|4 large garlic cloves|
|3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil|
|¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes|
|2 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1¼ tsp. Morton kosher salt|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|12 oz. spaghetti, linguine, bucatini, or other long pasta|
|½ oz. Parmesan, plus more for serving|
|½ cup (lightly packed) basil or mint leaves|
|½ cup heavy cream|
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt heavily.
- Meanwhile, place a clean kitchen towel in a large bowl (or on a large cutting board). Trim 2 lb. zucchini or summer squash (4–6), then grate on the large holes of a box grater directly into towel. Peel 1 large shallot and grate on the large holes of grater into towel. Peel 4 large garlic cloves and grate on the small holes of grater into towel.
- Gather ends of towel together, then squeeze over bowl (or the sink) with all your might to extract water from the zucchini. Squeeze until it’s hard to get out any more liquid. You should have extracted about ⅔ cup zucchini liquid, just FYI; discard.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a medium Dutch oven or very large skillet over medium-high. Add ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add zucchini mixture (unwrap the balled-up towel over the pot for easiest transfer) and 2 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1¼ tsp. Morton kosher salt and stir to coat. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini mixture is jammy, thick, and starting to stick to bottom of pot, 15–20 minutes.
- When the zucchini has been cooking 5–10 minutes, add 12 oz. spaghetti, linguine, bucatini, or other long pasta to pot of boiling water and cook until al dente. Scoop out 2 cups pasta cooking liquid and set aside.
- Meanwhile, juice 1 lemon into a small bowl. Grate ½ oz. Parmesan on the small holes of grater (you should have about ¼ cup; you can also use ¼ cup pre-grated Parmesan). Very coarsely tear or chop ½ cup (lightly packed) basil or mint leaves.
- Using tongs, transfer pasta to pot with zucchini—it’s okay if some water clings to it. Reduce heat to medium-low, add ½ cup pasta cooking liquid and ½ cup heavy cream, and stir to combine. Add cheese, pour another ½ cup pasta cooking liquid over top, and cook, stirring vigorously with tongs or a wooden spoon and add more pasta cooking liquid if needed, until a creamy sauce that coats pasta forms, 2–3 minutes.
- Remove pasta from heat and stir in 2 Tbsp. lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt and black pepper and add more lemon juice (you may want to add an additional 1 Tbsp.). Stir in most of the herbs.
- Serve pasta topped with more grated Parmesan and remaining herbs.
LOW-CARB ZUCCHINI PASTA | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: DinnerMomma
Categories: Zucchini Side Dishes
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
|2 zucchinis, peeled|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|¼ cup water|
|salt and ground black pepper to taste|
- Cut lengthwise slices from zucchini using a vegetable peeler, stopping when the seeds are reached. Turn zucchini over and continue ‘peeling’ until all the zucchini is in long strips; discard seeds. Slice the zucchini into thinner strips resembling spaghetti.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir zucchini in the hot oil for 1 minute. Add water and cook until zucchini is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Calories 157.1 calories, CarbohydrateContent 7.9 g, FatContent 13.9 g, FiberContent 2.6 g, ProteinContent 2.9 g, SaturatedFatContent 2 g, SodiumContent 180.7 mg, SugarContent 4.1 g