EASY BRAISED FENNEL RECIPE WITH ORANGE
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
|2 medium fennel bulbs|
|1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/2 orange zested and juiced|
|3/4 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock or water, see our chicken stock recipe|
|Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste|
- Cut off and discard stems/stalks from fennel bulb, reserving some of the fronds (wispy green tips).
- Slice fennel in half, lengthwise. Remove tough core by making two angled cuts. Then cut halves into 1/2-inch thick wedges. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot with lid over medium-high heat. Add fennel wedges and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Reduce heat to low, add orange zest, juice and the stock. Cook, covered, until fennel is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with a few reserved fennel fronds sprinkled on top.
SICILIAN FENNEL AND ORANGE SALAD WITH RED ONION AND MINT RECIPE …
Market tip: Fennel bulbs should be heavy for their size — this indicates plenty of moisture — and have a smooth outer layer.
Provided by: EPICURIOUS.COM
Yield: Makes 4 servings
|2 navel oranges or blood oranges|
|1 large fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, cored, very thinly sliced crosswise|
|1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion|
|16 small fresh mint leaves, torn in half|
|3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|20 oil-cured black olives|
- Cut peel and pith from oranges. Cut between membranes to release segments.
- Toss orange segments, fennel, onion, mint, and oil in large bowl to coat. Season salad generously to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer salad to platter. Garnish with olives and serve immediately.
FENNEL ORANGE SALAD RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Yield: 4 servings.
|1 fennel bulb with fronds (about 3/4 pound)|
|4 medium oranges, peeled and sliced|
|1/3 cup orange juice|
|4 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 tablespoon grated orange zest|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/8 teaspoon pepper|
|Pomegranate seeds, optional|
- Finely chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1/4 cup; set aside. Cut fennel bulb in half lengthwise; remove and discard the tough outer layer, fennel core and any green stalks. Cut widthwise into thin slices and measure 3 cups; place in a large bowl. Add orange slices., In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the orange juice, oil, orange zest, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over fennel and oranges; toss gently. Sprinkle with reserved fronds and, if desired, pomegranate seeds.
Calories 143 calories, FatContent 5g fat (1g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 0 cholesterol, SodiumContent 193mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, FiberContent 6g fiber), ProteinContent 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges 1 vegetable