BAR SNACK BRUSSELS SPROUTS STEEPED IN OLIVE OIL AND FISH SAUCE …
Provided by: Gabrielle Hamilton
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
|Brussels sprouts, trimmed at stalk end|
|Extra-virgin olive oil|
|Vietnamese fish sauce|
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and season with coarse kosher salt until as salty as the sea. We encourage you to actually get a spoon and taste the hot water for salinity. It’s the only way to know what you’ve got in the pot.
- Add the brussels sprouts, and cook for about 10 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Still firm but not al dente.
- Drain sprouts, and quickly transfer to a heatproof shallow bowl, and while hot, douse them with good-quality olive oil and sprinkle fish sauce over them judiciously. Stir, and taste one. Add another splash of fish sauce, if needed, and let the sprouts cool completely, resting and steeping for an hour or so, before serving at room temperature.
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS W CARAMELIZED FISH SAUCE | JUST A PINCH …
Provided by: barbara lentz @blentz8
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|2 pound(s) brussel sprouts halved|
|2 tablespoon(s) olive oil|
|3 tablespoon(s) melted butter|
|– salt and pepper|
|2 tablespoon(s) fresh cilantro minced|
|1 tablespoon(s) fresh basil minced|
|1 tablespoon(s) butter|
|1 medium shallot chopped|
|3 clove(s) garlic minced|
|1 tablespoon(s) ginger minced|
|1/3 cup(s) fish sauce|
|1/2 cup(s) sugar|
|2 tablespoon(s) water|
|– juice of 1 lime|
- Preheat oven 425 degrees. Combine the brussel sprouts with oil and butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat well. Place cut side down on baking sheet and roast about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile In small saucepan melt butter and add the shallot, garlic, and ginger stirring until softened. Add the remaining sauce ingredients to pan and cook on med low heat until reduced and syrupy
- Serve sauce over sprouts and garnish with cilantro and basil.
How to cook brussel sprouts with cod?
Cut the larger Brussels sprouts in half and leave the small ones whole. Scatter the Brussels sprouts around the cod and place a few tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with some sea salt and lemon zest, and drizzle with extra olive oil. Place the tray in the hot oven, middle shelf, for 20 minutes. Once ready, serve while hot with a side salad.
What can I substitute for brussel sprouts?
Feel free to swap Brussels sprouts with broccoli or cauliflower; tomatoes can be swapped for carrots or peppers. You will find the full recipe ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown below.
What can I substitute for fish in a spicy spaghetti sauce?
You can use any white fish fillets, salmon or trout in the same way here. The spice rub works well with all of them. The same goes for vegetables. Feel free to swap Brussels sprouts with broccoli or cauliflower; tomatoes can be swapped for carrots or peppers. You will find the full recipe ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown below.