CANADIAN YELLOW SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chantal Morin
Categories: Ham Soup
Total time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours 10 minutes
|1 ham bone with some meat|
|2 ½ cups yellow split peas|
|5 stalks celery, diced|
|4 carrots, diced|
|½ large Spanish onion, diced|
|2 tablespoons kosher salt|
|2 teaspoons dried thyme|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 pinch ground black pepper, or to taste|
|8 cups water, or as needed|
- Place ham bone, split peas, celery, carrots, onion, salt, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper into a large pot; pour in water. Bring mixture to a boil and skim off any foam with a spoon.
- Reduce the heat and place a lid on the pot, slightly ajar to allow some evaporation. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and soup is thick, about 3 hours.
- Remove ham bone from soup; remove meat from ham bone, chop, and return to the pot.
Calories 171.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 31.9 g, FatContent 0.1 g, FiberContent 1.1 g, ProteinContent 11.8 g, SodiumContent 995.1 mg, SugarContent 3.1 g
YELLOW SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Yield: 6 serving(s)
|2 medium white onions, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|3 -4 cloves garlic, smashed|
|2 cups yellow split peas, about 1 lb|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/2 teaspoon dried thyme|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1/8 teaspoon hot sauce|
|6 cups fat free chicken broth|
- Put the onion in a large non stick saucepan over medium low heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onion is wilted and translucent.
- Add the garlic, stir and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the split peas, then the seasonings, hot sauce and the broth.
- Raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour, until the soup is fairly thick.
- Remove the cover and stir well before serving.
Calories 248.1, FatContent 1, SaturatedFatContent 0.1, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 892.4, CarbohydrateContent 44.4, FiberContent 17.5, SugarContent 7, ProteinContent 17.3
How to cook split peas soup?
Add the garlic, stir and continue to cook for 1 minute. Stir in the split peas, then the seasonings, hot sauce and the broth. Raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour, until the soup is fairly thick.
How to cook pea and celery soup?
Directions. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil and butter until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add peas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender. Stir in lemon juice, cumin and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes. In small batches, puree soup in a blender; return to the pan.
What can I substitute for yellow split peas in soup?
You could substitute the yellow split peas with green split peas or even red lentils in this tasty soup recipe. Vegetables – when it comes to soup a good veggie base makes all the difference to the final result. I have used onion, carrot, celery, leek and garlic to add a base flavor to my soup.
What is the best way to make peas and carrots Soup?
Stir in peas, 6 cups water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 40 minutes or until peas are very tender. Transfer 1 cup of the soup solids to food processor. Add remaining 3/4 cup water and process until smooth. Return purée to pan and stir in half the parsley or dill, if using.