POLLO A LA BRASA RECIPE (PERUVIAN ROAST CHICKEN) – EAT PERU
Provided by: Eat Peru
Categories: Lunch,Main Course
Total time: 870 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 120 minutes
|1 whole chicken (giblets removed)|
|½ cup plain vinegar|
|½ cup ground ají panca chilli pepper|
|½ cup freshly made garlic paste|
|½ cup dark soy sauce|
|½ cup vegetable oil (for the marinade)|
|1 cup black beer (such as Cusqueña Negra (optional))|
|Salt, ground black pepper, and cumin to taste|
|6 large white cooking potatoes (peeled and cut into thick fries)|
|2 cups vegetable oil (to fry the potatoes)|
|1 small head iceberg lettuce (washed and roughly chopped)|
|3 medium tomatoes (sliced)|
|½ cucumber (peeled and sliced)|
|½ cup salad dressing (of your choice)|
|5 tbsp Dipping sauces (Mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard and ají chilli pepper dip to serve)|
|1 large aji amarillo pepper (or 2 tbsps paste)|
|1/3 cup queso fresco|
|1/4 cup vegetable oil|
|1 large garlic clove|
|3 tbsp lime juice|
|1/2 tsp huacatay paste|
|1 pinch sugar|
|pepper (to taste)|
- On the night before roasting, add dry ground ingredients to bowl
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade (vinegar, soy sauce, vegetable oil, black beer, ground ají panca chilli pepper, garlic, coarse salt, pepper and cumin) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place the chicken in a large baking tray or bowl, pour the marinade over it, ensuring it covers all of the parts of the chicken, and leave in the fridge overnight to marinate.
- (Day of roasting) Take the chicken out of the fridge, spread the marinade over the chicken one last time and place into a baking pan, adding 1 inch of water to the bottom of the pan in order to avoid the chicken drying out. Pre-heat the oven at 390°F (200 °C) for 10 minutes and place the tray with the chicken in the middle of the oven. Bake for 2 hours or until cooked, ensuring the chicken is cooked inside (check with a skewer) and the skin is nicely roasted and crispy.
- About 30 minutes before the chicken is ready to come out of the oven, fry the potatoes in plenty of vegetable oil until golden brown. Place on some kitchen towel in a strainer on a plate to absorb any excess oil. Add salt to taste.
- Place the lettuce, tomato and cucumber and toss with your salad dressing of choice.
- When the chicken is ready, cut into individual pieces (usually quartered) and serve with the French fries, salad, and dipping sauces.
- Enjoy your Peruvian classic roast dinner!
- Aji Amarillo Sauce
ServingSize 200 g, Calories 1061.18 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 25.8 g, ProteinContent 43.06 g, FatContent 86.75 g, SaturatedFatContent 42.3 g, CholesterolContent 150.18 mg, SodiumContent 2179.39 mg, FiberContent 3.48 g, SugarContent 9.82 g
PERUVIAN ROASTED CHICKEN WITH SPICY CILANTRO SAUCE RECIPE – NYT …
Provided by: Melissa Clark
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|6 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced|
|3 tablespoons soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste or another chile paste such as sriracha or sambal|
|1 tablespoon lime juice|
|1 teaspoon aji panca paste or 1 teaspoon pasilla chile powder|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|1 (3 1/2- to 4 1/2-pound) chicken, halved (see Note) or 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts|
|Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed|
|1 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems|
|3 to 4 jalapeños, seeded and diced|
|1/4 cup/1 ounce crumbled feta cheese|
|1 garlic clove, chopped|
|1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, more to taste|
|2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or basil|
|3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste|
|1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1/2 tablespoon aji amarillo or other chile paste (see headnote)|
|1/2 teaspoon honey|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|Lime wedges, for garnish|
- For the marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, soy sauce, aji amarillo paste, lime juice, aji panca paste, mustard, cumin, pepper and salt.
- Add chicken halves, turning to coat them all over with marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange skin-side up on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Roast until skin is golden and chicken is cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes (if using chicken parts, remove the breasts after 25 to 35 minutes). Remove from oven and let sit, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes before serving.
- While chicken is roasting, make the sauce. In a blender, blend cilantro, jalapeños, feta, garlic, lime juice, oregano, salt, mustard, aji amarillo paste, honey, and cumin until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in oil until mixture is emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt or lime juice or both.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the sauce and lime wedges on the side.