SUMMER GARDEN EGGPLANT – DAVITA
Provided by: Recipes from “Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook” by Sara Colman, RD, CSR, CDE and Dorothy Gordon, RN. Submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Cook time: 50 minutes
|3 cups eggplant ,1 tablespoon onion ,1 tablespoon celery ,1 tablespoon parsley ,1/4 cup green bell pepper ,1/4 cup red bell pepper ,2 tablespoons unsalted margarine ,1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® onion herb seasoning ,1 cup soft bread crumbs|
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2″ pieces. Measure 3 cups for recipe. Chop onion, celery, parsley and bell peppers.
- Mix vegetables together.
- Spray a 1-1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Add vegetable mixture and cover. Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the vegetables are baking mix melted margarine and Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning with the soft bread crumbs.
- Uncover baking dish and sprinkle with crumb mixture. Return the uncovered dish to oven. Bake 10 minutes longer or until the topping is lightly browned.
Calories 101 , CarbohydrateContent 10 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg, FatContent 6 g, FiberContent 2.1 g, ProteinContent 2 g, ServingSize 3/4 cup, SodiumContent 66 mg
EGGPLANT CASSEROLE – DAVITA
Provided by: DaVita dietitian Joyce from Texas.
Cook time: 20 minutes
|3 cups eggplant ,3 large eggs,1/2 cup liquid nondairy creamer ,1/8 teaspoon salt ,1/2 teaspoon pepper ,1/4 teaspoon sage ,1/2 cup breadcrumbs ,1 tablespoon margarine|
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Peel and cut up eggplant. Place eggplant pieces in a pan, cover with water and boil until tender. Drain and mash.
- Combine beaten eggs, nondairy creamer, salt, pepper and sage with mashed eggplant. Place in a greased casserole dish.
- Mix melted margarine with breadcrumbs.
- Top casserole with breadcrumbs and bake 20 minutes or until top begin to brown.
Calories 186 , CarbohydrateContent 19 g, CholesterolContent 124 mg, FatContent 9 g, FiberContent 1.9 g, ProteinContent 7 g, ServingSize 3/4 cup, SodiumContent 246 mg
EATINGWELL’S EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Provided by: EatingWell Test Kitchen
Categories: Healthy Eggplant Recipes
Total time: 45 minutes
|Canola or olive oil cooking spray|
|2 large eggs|
|2 tablespoons water|
|1 cup panko breadcrumbs|
|¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided|
|1 teaspoon Italian seasoning|
|2 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds total), cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|½ teaspoon ground pepper|
|1 (24 ounce) jar no-salt-added tomato sauce|
|¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn, plus more for serving|
|2 cloves garlic, grated|
|½ teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided|
- Position racks in middle and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets and a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and water in a shallow bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan and Italian seasoning in another shallow dish. Dip eggplant in the egg mixture, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture, gently pressing to adhere.
- Arrange the eggplant in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Generously spray both sides of the eggplant with cooking spray. Bake, flipping the eggplant and switching the pans between racks halfway, until the eggplant is tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, mix tomato sauce, basil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in the prepared baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant slices over the sauce. Spoon 1 cup sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining eggplant, sauce and cheese.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with more basil before serving, if desired.
Calories 241 calories, CarbohydrateContent 28 g, CholesterolContent 83 mg, FatContent 9 g, FiberContent 6 g, ProteinContent 14 g, SaturatedFatContent 4 g, SodiumContent 553 mg, SugarContent 9 g