PIE CRUST – MY PARISIAN KITCHEN
|125 gr cold butter|
|250 gr all-purpose flour|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|40 gr caster sugar|
|125 ml cold water|
- Finely dice the cold butter and put it in your food processor with flour, sugar and salt.
- Mix until you get a granulated texture. It should become like sand.
- Add the water while mixing, until you have a smooth uniform mixture. Remove from the processor and form a ball.
- Knead the dough twice (Put the dough on a floured surface, crush it with the palm of your hand and reshape a ball. This process aerates the dough so it will not shrink in the oven).
- Reshape the ball, put flour all around and place in a bowl Cover with plastic wrap and leave it in the refrigerator for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature for a few minutes so that it won’t be too cold. Lay it out on a clean floured surface.
- Flatten the dough with a rolling pin to stretch it to a circle of the correct size (1 cm bigger than you pan).
- Grease your pan (or use a sheet of greasepoof paper) and place your dough using your rolling pin (roll your dough around the pin, place in over one edge of your pan and unroll it).
- Make sure the sides stick to your pan otherwise they will fall down while baking. Cut the edges with a knife or any sharp utensil and remove the excess of dough.
- With a knife, cut the excess of dough all around the pan, then with a fork, make little holes (make sure you don’t pierce the dough).
- Put a sheet of greaseproof paper and add weights (baking weights or if you don’t have any kennel or seed). Pre-bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 320°F (160°C).