CALDO DE RES – MEXICAN BEEF SOUP RECIPE – TABLESPOON.COM
|12 cups water|
|2 lbs beef shanks with bone|
|1 bulb of garlic (head of garlic)|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 to 3 tablespoons salt|
|4 white potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cuts|
|3 Serrano chiles, roughly chopped|
|1 small white onion, diced|
|4 carrots, sliced thick|
|3 ears of corn, cut into 9 pieces|
|4 cups green cabbage, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1/2 cup chopped cilantro|
|16 corn tortillas, if desired|
|1 large lime, cut into wedges, if desired|
- In a large, heavy pot, add 10 cups water, beef, garlic, bay leaves, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil, skimming the top when needed. Cover, reduce heat and continue cooking 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat becomes tender.
- In a blender, add the Serrano chiles, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup water, blend until smooth, set aside.
- Once meat becomes tender, remove bay leaves and bulb of garlic. Add potatoes to the pot, along with the onions, carrots and corn. Add the remaining 2 cups water, taste the broth for salt and season to taste. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender.
- When potatoes are tender, remove the corn and meat from the soup, transfer to a large bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Add cabbage and 1/4 cup of cilantro to the soup. Cook for just another 15 to 20 minutes, until cabbage becomes tender, but is still crisp. Remove soup from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Warm the corn tortillas on a hot comal or griddle and keep warm in a tortilla warmer.
- Divide the soup into 8 bowls. Add corn and some of the meat to each bowl. Garnish with lemon wedges, cilantro, and Serrano salsa for some added spice.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas, if desired.
ServingSize 1 Serving
SOPA DE FIDEOS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: amandascookin
Categories: Noodle Soup
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 (7 ounce) package fideo pasta, uncooked|
|3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth|
|coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro|
- Place tomatoes, onion, and garlic into a blender; pulse several times to get the mixture moving, then blend until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat; stir in fideo pasta. Fry pasta gently, stirring often, until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour tomato mixture into a large saucepan; stir in chicken broth and noodles. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until noodles are tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in cilantro and cook until warmed through.
Calories 291.5 calories, CarbohydrateContent 44 g, CholesterolContent 6.8 mg, FatContent 8.2 g, FiberContent 2.8 g, ProteinContent 9.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.1 g, SodiumContent 1507 mg, SugarContent 6.7 g
SOPA DE TORTILLA (REAL MEXICAN TORTILLA SOUP) RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: jackie
Categories: Tortilla Soup
Total time: 1 hours 14 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 44 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|vegetable oil, or as needed|
|12 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips|
|3 dried pasilla chile peppers, seeded|
|2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped|
|½ large onion, chopped|
|1 clove garlic|
|¼ teaspoon dried oregano|
|4 cups water|
|4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules|
|1 sprig fresh parsley|
|1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and diced|
|¾ cup diced cotija cheese|
|2 tablespoons crema fresca (fresh cream)|
- Heat oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips in batches and fry until brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Fry pasilla chiles in the same pan, being careful not to burn them, until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Combine 1 fried pasilla pepper, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and oregano in a blender; blend until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add tomato mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Stir in chicken granules and parsley. Cover and simmer over low heat until flavors are well combined, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and discard parsley.
- Divide fried tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Pour soup on top of tortilla strips and garnish with diced avocado and cotija cheese. Cut remaining fried pasilla peppers into thin strips and sprinkle over soup. Add Mexican crema to each bowl.
Calories 606.3 calories, CarbohydrateContent 49.5 g, CholesterolContent 36.4 mg, FatContent 42.4 g, FiberContent 10.3 g, ProteinContent 13.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 10.8 g, SodiumContent 706.8 mg, SugarContent 6.2 g