PASTA ALLA NORMA RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
|1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes|
|⅓ cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 lb. Japanese or globe eggplant, cut into ½” pieces|
|2½ tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1½ tsp. Morton kosher salt, divided, plus more|
|3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes|
|3 Tbsp. double-concentrated tomato paste|
|2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped oregano|
|1 lb. tubular pasta (such as calamarata or rigatoni)|
|4 oz. ricotta salata, shaved|
|Torn basil leaves (for serving)|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
- Dump one 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes with juices into a medium bowl; crush tomatoes with your hands. Set aside.
- Heat ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high. Add 1 lb. Japanese or globe eggplant, cut into ½” pieces, and sprinkle with 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is softened and golden brown, 6–8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in same pot over medium-high. Cook 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, and ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 3 Tbsp. double-concentrated tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened in color, about 2 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped oregano, 1½ tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1 tsp. Morton kosher salt, and reserved tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Return eggplant to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is completely tender and flavors have melded, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook 1 lb. tubular pasta (such as calamarata or rigatoni) in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Add pasta and ½ cup pasta cooking liquid to sauce. Cook, stirring often and adding more pasta cooking liquid if needed, until sauce is thickened and coats pasta, about 2 minutes.
- Divide pasta among shallow bowls. Top with 4 oz. ricotta salata, shaved, dividing evenly, and torn basil leaves. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
PASTA ALLA NORMA RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Mark Bittman
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|1 1/2 pounds eggplant|
|Olive oil as needed (at least 1/2 cup)|
|Salt and pepper|
|1 tablespoon chopped garlic|
|3 or 4 dried chiles|
|1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped (canned are fine; about 1 can)|
|1 teaspoon good dried oregano, or 1 tablespoon fresh|
|1 pound long pasta|
|1/2 cup chopped parsley or basil|
|1/2 cup grated ricotta salata (or in a pinch, pecorino Romano)|
- Slice the eggplant about 1/2 inch thick. Cook in abundant olive oil, without crowding, sprinkling with salt and adding more oil as needed. You will undoubtedly have to cook in batches; take your time and cook until the eggplant is nicely browned and soft. Remove to a plate; do not drain on paper towels. Meanwhile, put a large pot of water to boil and salt it.
- At the end of the cooking the eggplant, the pan will ideally have a couple of tablespoons of oil left. If there’s more or less, drain some off or add a bit. Turn the heat to medium, add the garlic and chiles, and cook until the garlic colors a little bit. Add the tomatoes and oregano, along with some salt and pepper; cook until saucy but not too dry, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta until tender but not mushy. While it’s cooking, cut the eggplant into strips and reheat for a minute in the tomato sauce. Drain the pasta and toss it with the tomato sauce and the eggplant. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then top with the parsley or basil and grated cheese and serve.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 418, UnsaturatedFatContent 5 grams, CarbohydrateContent 70 grams, FatContent 9 grams, FiberContent 8 grams, ProteinContent 16 grams, SaturatedFatContent 3 grams, SodiumContent 757 milligrams, SugarContent 9 grams
SPAGHETTI ALLA NORMA | JAMIE OLIVER SPAGHETTI RECIPES
Provided by: Jamie Oliver
Total time: 45 minutes
|3 cloves of garlic|
|½ a bunch of fresh basil (15g)|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes|
|1 tablespoon baby capers|
|1 tablespoon red wine vinegar|
|1 x 400 g tin of quality plum tomatoes|
|320 g dried wholewheat spaghetti|
|50 g pecorino cheese|
|extra virgin olive oil|
- Chop the aubergines into rough 2cm chunks. Place into a colander in the sink, sprinkle with sea salt to draw out the moisture, then set aside for around 20 minutes.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, then pick the basil leaves and finely slice the stalks.
- Rinse the aubergine and pat dry with kitchen paper, then place into a large bowl with the oregano, chilli flakes, a splash of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Toss together well.
- Drizzle a splash of olive oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the aubergines in a single layer, and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, or until softened and golden, stirring occasionally – you may need to do this in batches.
- Add another splash of olive oil, followed by the garlic, capers and basil stalks, then cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in the vinegar and the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a spoon. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
- Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until al dente, which means that it should be soft enough to eat, but still have a bit of bite and firmness to it.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving a cupful of the cooking water, then add a good splash of the reserved water to the aubergine sauce.
- Finely grate in half the cheese and tear in most of the reserved basil leaves. Add a lug of extra virgin olive oil, then season to taste.
- Add the spaghetti to the sauce and toss well, adding an extra splash of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed.
- Divide between bowls, grate over the remaining cheese and finish with the remaining basil scattered on top.
Calories 409 calories, FatContent 13 g fat, SaturatedFatContent 3.9 g saturated fat, ProteinContent 16.3 g protein, CarbohydrateContent 60.6 g carbohydrate, SugarContent 8.4 g sugar, SodiumContent 1.5 g salt, FiberContent 10.1 g fibre