DELICIOUS GOLDEN MUSTARD PICKLES RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 48 hours
Prep time: 48 hours
Yield: 20 cups
|1 large cauliflower|
|14 cups sliced pickling cucumbers|
|6 cups diced onions|
|1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1/2 cup pickling salt|
|5 cups white vinegar|
|4 cups granulated sugar|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1/2 cup mustard powder|
|2 tablespoons turmeric powder|
- Trim the core off of cauliflower; cut into bite-size florets to make 8 cups.
- Place in a large stockpot, along with cucumbers, onions, red and green peppers.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pickling salt; cover with cold water.
- Set aside in cool spot (do not refrigerate) for 12 hours.
- Return the pot to element; bring veggie mixture just to a boil, over med-high heat; drain in large colander, discarding brine.
- Set the veggies aside.
- Rinse the pot.
- Add 4 cups of vinegar; bring to boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together, sugar, flour, mustard and tumeric powder; whisk in 1 cup water, and remaining vinegar to make a smooth paste.
- Whisk into hot vinegar, and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened (amout 3 minutes).
- Add the veggies, stir to coat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring gently.
- Ladle into 2-cup hot canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Cover with warm discs; screw on bands fingertip tight.
- Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
- Remove, and let cool on rack.
Calories 257.8, FatContent 1.6, SaturatedFatContent 0.1, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 2848.7, CarbohydrateContent 57.7, FiberContent 3.3, SugarContent 45.2, ProteinContent 3.7
MUSTARD PICKLES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: BJ MOORE
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 – 1 quart jars
|8 large cucumbers, sliced|
|4 cups sliced onion|
|2 tablespoons pickling salt|
|2 cups white sugar|
|2 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|2 cups white vinegar|
|1 tablespoon ground dried turmeric|
|1 tablespoon dry mustard powder|
|½ teaspoon celery seed|
|2 quarts cold water, or as needed|
- Place the sliced cucumbers and onions into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over the top. Fill the bowl with enough water to cover the cucumbers. Let stand for 8 to 10 hours.
- Drain and rinse the cucumbers and onion with fresh water. Sterilize 4 (1 quart) jars and lids.
- In a 6 quart pot, stir together the sugar and flour. Whisk in the vinegar, turmeric, mustard powder and celery seed to make a smooth paste. Add the cucumbers and onions and fill with enough water to cover. Stir, and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars filling to within 1/2 inch of the top. Seal with lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in a simmering water bath. Refrigerate any jars that fail to seal properly.
Calories 138.3 calories, CarbohydrateContent 33.9 g, FatContent 0.5 g, FiberContent 1.3 g, ProteinContent 1.5 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.1 g, SodiumContent 879.9 mg, SugarContent 28.6 g
MOTHER’S SOUR MUSTARD PICKLES RECIPE – NEW ENGLAND TODAY
|1 cup salt|
|1 cup dry mustard|
|1 gallon white vinegar|
|pinch of alum|
|1 dozen pickling cucumbers, medium size|